Bulk Up! Get your Protein from these 10 Vegan SourcesRaquel Khoudari
There’s no doubt that veganism is becoming one of trendiest lifestyles in today’s world. If you’re thinking of joining the vegan nation, you probably can’t help but wonder where you’re going to get your protein. After all, protein acts as our bodies’ building blocks, stimulating cell growth. On average, women should consume around 46 grams of protein per day, and men 56 grams per day. Fortunately, vegans can enjoy plenty of plant-based protein sources, with no need for meat, eggs or dairy. The plant-based diet is not only beneficial to humans, but also to animals and the environment.
Here’s a list of some of our favorite protein-rich vegan foods.
1. Chia seeds: 4.7 grams per ounce
2. Hemp seeds: 10 grams in 3 tablespoons (53 grams per cup)
3. Veggies: the amount of protein in vegetables varies; leafy greens usually contain the most. One cup of broccoli contains 8.1 grams of protein.
4. Peas: 7.9 grams per cup
5. Quinoa: 8 grams per cup
6. Nuts: 6 grams per ounce. These also contain plenty of healthy fats.
7. Beans: 13 grams per cup
8. Lentils: 18 grams per cup
9. Unsweetened cocoa powder: 1 gram per tablespoon
10. Tofu/tempeh: 32 grams per cup
Not bad, huh? You probably eat many of these foods on a regular basis. What’s great is that you can eat them in countless varieties of flavors and forms; raw, boiled, steamed, in salads, bowls, or smoothies. Not only will you be meeting your daily protein requirement – you’ll also feel great!
Latest posts by Raquel Khoudari (see all)
- Bulk Up! Get your Protein from these 10 Vegan Sources - August 23, 2017
- Best Vegan Running Shoes - August 23, 2017
- No Dairy? No Problem! 5 Vegan Calcium Sources - August 23, 2017