From the Vegan Pantry: Nutiva, a Nutty, Chocolaty, Smooth and Versatile Alternative to NutellaElisa Llewellyn-Sendik
When discussing staples to have in every vegan pantry, it’s easy to forget some of the sweeter options available on the market. One such staple is Nutiva – a vegan, organic hazelnut spread that not only rivals non-vegan Nutella, but it also is genuinely delicious. For those who like their chocolate on the darker side, the company even offers a “dark” version, in addition to their classic offering. It doesn’t hurt that it has 40% less sugar than the leading vegan hazelnut spread, as well as 5 grams of dietary fiber, 3 grams of protein, omega-3 fats. It’s even made with fair-trade certified palm oil!
For the chocolate lovers among us, a product like Nutiva makes a great topping for cakes, toast or waffles, a filling for pancakes or pita bread, and it’s also a great dip for fresh fruit when we need a little something extra to go with nature’s candy. Since Nutiva is a lower-sugar product, it makes a healthier delicious indulgence for special occasions. And who doesn’t love a little chocolate for their special day?
Below is a recipe for Nutiva-stuffed pancakes, guaranteed to please any sweet tooth. They’re so tasty, the traditional syrup topping can be skipped altogether!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoons oil (coconut oil is great for this!)
- 2 tablespoons Nutiva Organic Hazelnut spread
- Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Whisk together the water and oil in a small bowl. Pour into the well created in the dry ingredients.
- Stir ingredients until just blended, but not smooth. The batter should be lumpy for ideal texture!
- Heat a lightly-oiled griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter onto the griddle by the spoonful, add a teaspoon dollop of Nutiva hazelnut spread to the top of the batter, then top with a little more batter (enough to cover).
- Cook pancakes until bubbles form and the edges have dried out. Flip and continue to cook until brown.
- Repeat steps with remaining batter.
- Before you start mixing the batter, preheat your oven to a low temperature (about 150 degrees F). As you finish preparing your pancakes, add them to an oven-safe dish in the preheated oven so each one remains equally warm and gooey.
- Unless you have a large griddle, only cook 1-2 pancakes at a time.
- If desired, a little soy milk may be added to the batter to provide a more ‘traditional’ batter consistency.
Shop for your favorite Nutiva Product Here:
Nutiva Organic Hazelnut Spread, Classic Flavor (10 Single Serve Packets)